Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgery performed by an experienced plastic surgeon in Kuwait who has years of practice in the field of cosmetic surgery.
This surgery is basically performed to correct congenital defects, health issues relating to any defect to the nose and septum or for cosmetic purposes to enhance the looks and esthetics of the nose.
It is one of the complex facial surgeries requiring a thorough examination by the plastic surgeon to map out a perfect course of action.
Unlike other surgeries on the body which are hidden from view under the clothing, a nose will be the first thing that everyone sees. Therefore, the nose job has to be perfect and not make the patient look awkward post surgery.
Nose job is usually carried out to
- Correct nasal asymmetry
- Change the size of the nose/nostrils in relation to the face
- Change the width of nasal bridge or size and position of the nostrils
- Even out visible humps or depressions on the nose
- Correct enlarged or bulbous nasal tips
- Correct drooping, upturned or hooked nose
- Enlarge tight and closed nostrils to help the patient breathe freely
- Correct deformities or wounds caused by accidents and infections
- Correcting a failed prior nose job
Rhinoplasty for serious health problems – correcting deviated septum
Nose job is carried out to loosen the airway by operating on the inner walls and shifting the cartilages more towards the outside of the nose. The nasal structure is widened which facilitates easy airflow and breathing. The alignment is adjusted so that the nasal structure starts functioning normally.
Medical terms used in rhinoplasty
The plastic surgeon performing nose job on you will be using many medical terms related to the surgery. It helps to get acquainted with those so that you don’t waste time in learning and understanding the terms during your discussion with the surgeon.
Some of the terms are
- Rhinoplasty – Surgery to reshape the looks of the nose
- General Anesthesia – Drugs or gases used to make the patient temporarily unconscious during the surgery.
- Local Anesthesia – Drug injected in and around the site of surgery. Patient usually retains consciousness during the surgery.
- Intravenous sedation – Sedatives are injected into the blood stream to make the patient semi-conscious and relax
- Deviated Septum – the wall separating the nostrils is misaligned causing blockage to the airflow and breathing
- Cartilage – Tissue connecting the structure of the nose
- Columella – Tissues separating the nostrils right beneath the tip of the nostrils
- Hematoma – Swelling caused during the surgery in which blood is filled in the space
Cost of rhinoplasty surgery in Kuwait
The surgery costs in Kuwait vary widely depending on the experience of the surgeon and the geographical location of the operation unit. If the chosen clinic is situated in a metropolitan city naturally the costs will be more when compared to a small town.
Depending on the experience and sophistication of the medical facility the patient can expect the cost of surgery to be in the range of 4500KWD to 10000KWD. The costs usually add up due to the pre-operative procedures and post-op care.
A breakdown of expenses is given below
- Surgeon’s fees
- Surgery room support staff fees
- Anesthesia fees (local or general)
- Hospital and surgical facility costs
- Transportation to and from the hospital
- Medical tests
- Administering drugs and sedatives
- Hospital gowns and garments
- Prescription for medication
- Care taking staff fees
- Fees for consultation with other expert surgeons
- Service tax for health care
Eligibility of patients undergoing rhinoplasty surgery in Kuwait
The physician attending to the patient usually carries out a thorough discussion with the patient who has opted for rhinoplasty. The outcome of the discussion decides whether the patient is eligible for undergoing nose job.
The surgeon evaluates complete medical history of the patient to determine his/her physical and psychological health. The patient is also required to disclose all functional and aesthetic nasal problems that he suffers.
The surgeon also discusses about the symptoms, their duration, past surgeries undergone, allergies, drug use/abuse and present prescriptions.
Depending on his evaluation and the expectations of the patient for the surgery, the surgeon makes the final decision of whether the patient is physiologically and psychologically fit to undergo the stress caused by the operation.
“The deflected droopy nose of teenage and young adulthood tends to dominate the face as one becomes older.”
– Lawrence Martin, MD
Eligibility for claiming health insurance in Kuwait
If the surgery is performed for health reasons which fall under the category of functional reasons, the insurance company will settle the claims. But you have to talk to the health insurance providers in Kuwait and understand all the features and limitations of your policy.
If the surgery is being performed for enhancing aesthetics or cosmetic purposes the insurance company will usually deny the settlement.
You will also have to ask your insurance company whether it will settle the entire amount based on cashless transactions or will settle only a part of the surgery.
Open Rhinoplasty and Closed Rhinoplasty in Kuwait
The approach of the doctor to incision procedures classifies the surgery as open nose job or a closed nose job.
In open rhinoplasty, the surgeon usually cuts along the columella, the fleshy end of the nasal septum. This incision is done along with other cuts for nasal structure correction. In closed rhinoplasty, the surgeon performs all incisions endonasally. This means the scars are not visible externally after surgery.
Both follow similar procedures except the incision part on the columella
Closed rhinoplasty features:
- Reduced incision – no columellar incision
- Decreased cutting of nasal tissues and support
- Reduced post-operative edema (swelling due to water/fluid accumulation in tissues or cavities)
- Less or no scars visible after surgery
- Shorter operating room time. (usually a few hours)
- Quicker recovery and return to normal life
Open rhinoplasty features:
- Easier for surgeon to work when compared to closed rhinoplasty
- Advantageous in securing skin, cartilage and bone
- Visibility of the nasal cartilage
- Most accurate diagnosis of the problem
Types of rhinoplasty – primary and secondary
Primary rhinoplasty means the first time operation on the nose which has never been surgically treated before.
Secondary rhinoplasty is the revision of a failed or unsatisfactory rhinoplasty operation. Correction nose job is more complicated than the primary operation as the doctor has to recreate nasal support and everything which would make a nose normal. Usually the rhinoplasty doctor uses cartilage grafts from the ear or from the rib cage.
Nose job doctors in Kuwait are adept at both the procedures. The secondary rhinoplasty might be more expensive and may require more time in preparations and healing is slower.
Phases in rhinoplasty operation
Phase 1: Administering anesthesia
You are made to relax and anesthesia (general or local) is administered either through an injection or through a gas mask. A normal person will usually become unconscious within a few seconds.
Phase 2: Making incision
Following the prior ink markings done on the nose the surgeon stars cutting along the columella. He separates the fleshy part of the nose by gently raising it. This exposes the cartilages and bone to be operated upon.
Phase 3: Reshaping or restructuring the nose
This phase involves the removing or adding of grafts and cartilages to achieve the desired result. Overly large nose may be reduced in size by removing some cartilages and tissues. Misaligned septum will be corrected and any obstruction in the airway will be removed or altered.
Phase 4: Correcting structural deviations
The physician corrects any deviations of the septum or other parts of the nose according to the standards and type of nose the patient has.
Phase 5: Closing the cuts
When the surgeon is satisfied with the structure he then brings back the tissues and skin surrounding the nasal area back to its place. It is draped with splints, stitches and bandages to facilitate healing and make the new structure gain permanent form.
Phase 6: Recovery and follow up
The recovery starts after the surgery and will require a few weeks before the splints and bandages are removed. Total recovery can take up to a year during which you are required to visit the doctor and check on the progress.
The doctor will usually start lessening the dosages as you near complete healing and will advise you when to stop the pills and medicines.
Non Surgical Rhinoplasty in Kuwait
Nose job without surgery in Kuwait is done by using fillers such as collagen which helps in altering the shape of the nose without incision or surgery. The fillers are injected in the pre-determined areas which help fill in depressed areas on the nose or make other alignment issues correct.
The results are temporary and usually last for a year or two with this approach. If there are no major changes to be done to the structure of the nose then going for this route is beneficial.
After the surgery is performed, your nose will be given a packing from the inside and also splint and bandages on the outside. This is done to support and protect the newly constructed nasal area. The splints and packing also help in unhampered healing.
The swelling around the eyes reduces within a few weeks (about 3 weeks) but it may take up to a year for your nose to completely take on new shape. During these periods you will find that there are slight changes happening to your nose as it is gaining its new and permanent look.
Swelling usually comes and goes during this period as the body is adjusting itself to this changed body part. The patients are informed not to blow their nose or give any strain to the nasal walls. Since the healing is under progress there is a possibility that bleeding may occur if you put undue stress on your nose.
You are also advised not to engage into any sports or aerobic activity which increases your breathing and thereby causes friction in the nasal walls. However, meditation and slow deep breathing is beneficial for quicker healing.
Rhinoplasty doctors in Kuwait give specific and detailed instructions to their patients about
- Caring for the area which has undergone surgery
- Medications and ointments to apply externally, oral medications and nasal drops
- Steps to be taken to avoid infection
- What to expect during the recovery phase
- Follow up appointments with the plastic surgeon
Read More on What to Expect During Your Rhinoplasty Recovery
Risks involved in rhinoplasty
Every surgery has some risk factor involved in it. Although plastic surgeons in Kuwait take utmost care to avoid any mishaps during or after the surgery, the patient has to be aware about the risks in nose job.
The staff at the surgical facility will explain the risks associated with surgery. You will have to sign consent form to show that you totally understand the procedure and any complications that may arise in the surgery.
Some of the risks noted by best rhinoplasty doctors in Kuwait are
- Anesthesia risks (inadequate or over-dosage)
- Bleeding (internal or external)
- Improper wound healing or scars left behind during healing
- Numbness in some part of the nose
- Accidental nasal perforation (hole in the wall separating nostrils)
- Breathing difficulties
- Swelling spreading into other areas of the face
- Dissatisfaction of the looks after surgery
- Possibility of secondary nose job
Questions to ask your nose job doctor in Kuwait
You need to have a balance between being thoroughly convinced and being overly annoying to the doctor. Most of these questions will be answered by your surgeon even before asking.
Building a good rapport with your surgeon during these consultation sessions is important for the successful completion of the surgery and achieving desired results.
You can use this checklist as a guide during your consultation.
- Are you certified by the Kuwait Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Are you a member of Kuwait Medical Professionals and Kuwait Medical Association?
- Were you trained in the field of plastic surgery and specifically rhinoplasty?
- How many years have you been practicing plastic surgery?
- In which hospital will you be performing the surgery?
- Is you private surgical facility accredited by the Kuwait Medical Accreditation Agency?
- Am I a fit for going through rhinoplasty?
- What can I do on my side to get the best results?
- Where and when will you perform my surgery?
- What surgical technique is best suited for my case?
- How long can I expect before complete recovery?
- What complications may arise during or after my surgery?
- How will you handle the complications?
- What changes to expect in my nose over time?
- What options do I have if I am dissatisfied with the results of the surgery?
- Can I see some of the prior surgeries’ before and after photographs that you have done?
Before and after pictures of Kuwaiti patients who have undergone rhinoplasty
Final words on nose operation in Kuwait
Rhinoplasty is a personal choice and must be opted for only if you are 100% certain that you actually want the shape of your nose to be altered. If the issues are health related it is always better to opt for one, but if you are just concerned about the way your nose looks, then it is better to give it a second thought.
Kuwait has some of the best plastic surgeons whose expertise lies in rhinoplasty surgeries. If you take the proper precautions and come prepared for the operation you will have a great success rate during and after the surgery.
The operation will definitely help in increasing your overall confidence and self-esteem in the social circles. It may also open up new opportunities in your career and life due to an increase in your attractiveness. Make an informed decision today and go with the best surgeon in Kuwait for your nose job.